Australian study: Fish, olive oil, nuts good for eyes too (Health)
Fish, olive oil, nuts good for eyes too
- Studies: Consuming healthy fats reduce risk of age-related macular degeneration
- AMD is the top cause of blindness among people over 65 living in developed world
- Risk factors for AMD are age, genes, and smoking
- Study: People who ate the most trans fat had higher risk of AMD
By Anne Harding
Do you want to keep your vision clear as the years go by? Put fish, olive oil, and nuts on the menu, but stay away from trans fats, according to new research from Australia.
Age-related macular degeneration occurs when blood vessels or cells in the center of the retina break down.
Studies from two different teams published Monday in the Archives of Ophthalmology provide more evidence that these foods -- which contain healthy fats -- can reduce the risk of developing a retina-destroying condition known as age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
The studies aren't the first to suggest fish and omega-3 fatty acids may help protect vision; in fact, the first findings pointing in this direction are more than a decade old. But experts not involved in the research agree that the new studies are well done and rigorous.
"The studies are notable for that alone," says Jean-Paul SanGiovanni, a staff scientist with the National Eye Institute in Bethesda, Maryland, who published 12 years of follow-up data on omega-3 fatty acids and AMD risk earlier this year with very similar results. "It's sort of consoling to see that we have this convergence of findings coming from different continents," he says, noting that researchers from Iceland and the Netherlands have turned up pretty much the same thing.
Finish reading at: CNN
- Drinking coffee might actually be good for you - bibleprobe1, 05.11.2009
- Drinking coffee might actually be good for you - Steve1981, 05.11.2009
- Australian study: Fish, olive oil, nuts good for eyes too - bibleprobe1, 05.12.2009
- Coffee & Cigarett Taste Similar? - Darrylz, 05.12.2009