Will Congress kill the Iran nuclear deal? (Israel-Jews)
Will Congress kill the Iran nuclear deal? 06:01
Washington (CNN)Senate backers of a bill the White House fears could dismantle a potential nuclear deal with Iran are closing in on a veto-proof threshold of support.
The Senate Foreign Relations Committee is expected to approve the bill next Tuesday and hold a full Senate vote soon after. The measure provides a skeptical Congress with the opportunity to review the deal and prevents the president from waiving congressional sanctions on Iran during the review period.
The White House has engaged in an extensive lobbying campaign on the Hill and with constituent groups concerned about Iran ever since a framework agreement was announced on April 2. The U.S. and the other world powers negotiating with Tehran have until June 30 to hammer out the final details to seal a deal.
READ: Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal
But so far, the administration hasn't been able to win over all the Senate Democrats, many of whom believe strongly that Congress has a constitutional obligation to weigh in on a major nuclear agreement with a long-time enemy of the United States.
The bill already has nine Democratic co-sponsors and a handful of other Democrats have either expressed support or remain open to backing the bill. When combined with the Senate Republicans and one independent who support the legislation, that leaves backers just four shy of the 67 needed to sustain the veto that Obama has promised.
FINISH READING this at: CNN
- OBAMA's deal with Iran - giving in to the Devil - bibleprobe, 04.04.2015 (Israel-Jews)
- OBAMA's deal with Iran - giving in to the Devil - bibleprobe, 04.05.2015
- Muslim King Obama's evil Iran DEAL falls on an ominous Bible date - bibleprobe, 04.06.2015
- Will Congress kill the Iran nuclear deal? - bibleprobe, 04.09.2015
- New Testament repeating itself in Israel - bibleprobe, 04.18.2015