Olive oil may protect against strokes (Health)
It helps more than your heart. Olive oil is full of polyphenols, a type of antioxidant that helps protect your cells from damage. Certain polyphenols also have anti-inflammatory properties.
Scientists have been exploring the effects these polyphenols may have on bone and digestive health as well as looking into how they could help prevent cancer. Other researchers are looking into olive oil's potential for improving cognitive function and memory.
Participants had follow-up exams at 2, 4, and six years and stroke incidents were recorded and verified. 148 stokes occurred after slightly more than five years. Compared to those who didn’t use olive oil, people who had “intensive use” of olive oil had a 41% lower risk for stroke.
Olive oil may protect against strokes
A diet high in olive oil may help protect older people against strokes, which are the third leading cause of death in the United States after heart disease and cancer. The findings are in a study published in the journal Neurology.
A stroke occurs when an artery within the brain, or leading to the brain, becomes blocked by a clot or bursts. The brain becomes deprived of blood and oxygen carried in the arteries and begins to die.
Strokes become more common as we age – stroke risk doubles for each decade of life after age 55, according to the American Heart Association.
Finish reading this: HERE
- Garlic Health Benefits Galore: 5 Reasons to Eat a Clove a Day - bibleprobe, 06.19.2011
- Olive oil may protect against strokes - bibleprobe, 06.24.2011
- Diet, Weight Loss Helps Reverse Type 2 diabetes - bibleprobe, 06.24.2011
- Calories & not No Carbs is for diabetics & all seeking weight loss - bibleprobe, 06.27.2011
- Diet Sodas have no diet benefit and are linked to diabetes - bibleprobe, 06.30.2011